What Not To Pack

Listed below is a complete list of everything that you may have in your home that should not be packed for your move.  Most of these items are not accepted for shipment because they are considered to be hazardous materials by the US Secretary of Transportation's office.  Other items are recommended for your own protection and convenience.

Important Papers And Negotiable Items

We recommend gathering these few things together and keeping them with you throughout the move, or making other arrangements for their safe travel.
  • Any paperwork having to do with your move.
  • Personal Identity Papers
    • Birth Certificates
    • Social Security Cards
    • Passports
    • Visas
    • Credit Cards
  • Negotiable Valuables
    • Cash
    • Stock Certificates
    • Bonds
    • Coin Collections
    • Stamp Collections
    • Expensive Jewelry

Temperature Sensitive Items

If you have anything that may be sensitive to temperature, you should consider whether or not you want to include it in the shipment.  Moving trucks are not temperature controlled environments, and do get very hot in the summer, and cold in the winter.

Hazardous Materials

The following list of common household items are not accepted for shipment.  Do not pack these items!
  • Combustible Liquids
    • Alcoholic Beverages (single containers over 1 gallon, or very high proof)
    • Rubbing Alcohols
    • Anti-Freeze Compounds
  • Corrosives
    • Acids
    • Drain Cleaner
    • Bleach
    • Batteries (Wet or Dry)
    • Swimming Pool Chemicals
    • Rust Preventer / Remover Compounds
  • Explosives
    • Fireworks
    • Ammunition
    • Gunpowder
    • Flash Bulbs
    • Igniters / Primers
    • Propellants
  • Flammables
    • Lighter Fluid
    • Matches
    • Wood Oil Stains
    • Petrol-Chemical Based Garden Sprays
    • Paint or Varnish
    • Paint or Varnish Removers
    • Butane / Propane / Gasolene
    • Signal Flairs
    • Charcoal Briquettes
    • Other Flammable Cleaning Liquids
  • Compressed Gasses
    • Aerosol Cans
    • Fire Extinguishers
    • Welding Gasses (Empty Tanks OK)
    • Scuba Tanks (Empty Tanks OK)
Lawn mowers, motorcycles, mopeds, etc. containing gasolene or other hazardous fuels should be drained at least 24 hours prior to the move.